The first throne speech of the PEI government under Premier Wade MacLauchlan was given today, setting out a number of priorities.
There are a few democratic reform initiatives that made the throne speech. Here is a summary of what to expect from this new PEI government:
- During this mandate, the Government will initiate and support an examination of ways in which to strengthen the electoral system and the role and functioning of the Legislative Assembly;
- During this Session, the Government will table a White Paper on Democratic Renewal;
- The Government will work with local governments to start the process to develop a new Municipal Government Act;
- The Government will develop and put in place a new initiative around youth and engagement that invites and includes the perspectives of young residents of Prince Edward Island in our democratic and policy renewal processes;
- The Government will implement a whistleblower policy with protections linked to the Commissioner of Ethics and Integrity; and
- Members of the Legislative Assembly will be asked to consider amendments to the Electoral Boundaries Act.
You can read the PEI throne speech in full here: http://www.gov.pe.ca/photos/original/SFT_E_15.pdf